I Forge Iron

Greetings everyone! I was wondering if anyone had info on sisco anvils. First ill tell u what I do know, I bought a 211 pounder today. The weight is stamped on the side as with the sisco marking. I can tell by rebound and sound this is a fairly decent anvil. Now what I don't know is, if it has a welded steel face plate or if it is indeed a solid one piece unit. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

The SISCO anvil pattern is nearly identical to Söderfors, as if they were made in the same foundry and transitioned from the SISCO name to Söderfors around 1910. Based on Swedish anvils I've seen and read in Postman's book Anvils in America, SISCO, Söderfors, Kohlswa, and NOHAB, all are homogeneous cast steel anvils, hardened and tempered, no top plate. Testimonies I've heard are all favorable about them, but the edges seem easier to chip than the steel plate on top of wrought iron anvils. You may find this exerpt from a 1911 congressional tariff/duty hearing interesting; they mention SISCO by name: http://books.google.com/books?id=QDkvAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA1043&lpg=PA1038&ots=U_TdYIhBFY&dq=1911+sweden+anvil&output=html_text