I Forge Iron

Poppet check valve and ball check valve. ????

I would like to help you but I don't know what you are looking for.  What kind of hammer do you have?  A picture would be helpful.  First you mention check valve and flow rates and then you speak of poppet valves.  While a poppet valve could be used as a sort of check valve, I don't think that is what you mean.  Perhaps you are looking for a spool valve?

Ciladog......Have a Kinyon style hammer that recently had the control (spool) valve sieze up.   Decided to upgrade with a higher cv rating valve, a second air tank nearer to the hammer and larger plumbing. Current 1/2" check valves have what looks internally to be a disc that exhaust through several radial spaced holes.  I've seen other check valves that use a spring loaded ball.  So I'm thinking that if there is a better style check valve, now would be the time to do it.  Thanks for any input................ 

There are many styles of chech valve. Ball, piston, diaphragm, reed and swing, Then you can have spring loaded, and you can have inline, "Tee" or "Y" style.

Highest Cv will be an inline swing check, followed by a "Y" swing, followed by a "Y" piston followed by a "Tee" piston. The comes the spring loaded which always reduce Cv considerably.

In Pnuematic checks, I would consider a soft seated swing check or Y type soft seated piston for highest Cv. Unless you have sticking issues or extremely low pressure differential you don't usually want/need a spring.

Ptree who spent 21 years in the valve and fitting manufacturing industry, 17 of those in the R&D labs and who flow tested every vale we designed and most of the competetion.