I Forge Iron

Buffalo Forge "Buffco" Forge and Blower - Dissassembly Question

Farmer Jim

Hello, I have been building a firepot and table for my Champion 400 blower and while discussing that with a local machinist yesterday I was offered and bought a Buffco blower and forge for $50. They were stored in a barn and don't appear to have seen much use. The blower has noise but spins freely so I am taking it apart to see if lubrication is the only issue. I loosened the crank set screw and removed the crank, removed the slotted screw in the center of the cover, removed the fan cover and would like to take the gear cover off.  It looks like it should just lift off, but it isn't budging. I would like to know if there is something I'm missing or if I need a bigger hammer. I would post a photo of how far the dissassembly has been done, but haven't found the guidelines  Thank you.

My Bufco was the same way when I got it.  It appears the cover should slide off, but many years and some corrosion has made it stuck on there.  So I left it alone.  I cleaned it as best I could, oiled the crank bushing through the hole, oiled the gears through the top oiler hole and squirted some oil on the lower shaft by slipping a flexible oil spout past the fan blades and dripped oil onto the shaft.  After that it turned nice and smoothly and I've been using it that way for 3 months now.  I put a few drops of oil on it before every use.

My Bufco was the same way when I got it.  It appears the cover should slide off, but many years and some corrosion has made it stuck on there.  So I left it alone.  I cleaned it as best I could, oiled the crank bushing through the hole, oiled the gears through the top oiler hole and squirted some oil on the lower shaft by slipping a flexible oil spout past the fan blades and dripped oil onto the shaft.  After that it turned nice and smoothly and I've been using it that way for 3 months now.  I put a few drops of oil on it before every use.