I Forge Iron

Eastern NC - Hi

Gromgor

Hello all,

I'm from eastern NC, 31,  and I've recently become enamored with the thought of blacksmithing. I'll admit, I'm concerned about the future of this country and I'd like to learn a skill that could prove incredibly useful should things ever go too bad. Blacksmithing seems like it would be incredibly useful.

I'm completely new. Don't even have a hammer yet. What I do have is access to junk/scrap yards. I've begun reading on this site about people buildings forges out of disc/drums from trucks. This will likely be how I get my start.

What I am curious about is salvaging scrap from vehicles. Old trucks often have bands of steel strapped together to form the rear suspension. I'm thinking there might be a lot of use from those. Also, how feasible is it to use an old, discarded engine block?

I'm probably going to have a lot of ridiculous questions to ask. I apologize ahead of time for them.

Welcome Gromgor, you have a great resource here at IFI. I would like to suggest finding a local blacksmith group to visit. You will learn a lot from a single visit and if you join and participate it will provide you with resources for tools and supplies that are otherwise hard to come by.
Using the search tap on appropriate pages here will answer most questions you will have at this stage of your game. If you cannot find your answer ask, someone will have had a similar problem and solution.
This past weekend I heard a "new smith" say he didn't want to join a blacksmith association until he knew what he was doing! That's what the associations are for, learning. I have never meet a blacksmith that wouldn't help someone who was willing to work and learn.
You are right about the scrap from automobiles. Leaf springs, coil springs, axles, ect ect..... All good but there are things you need to know about them before you start hammering on them.
Take time and learn correctly it will pay off in the long run.
Good luck sir