I Forge Iron

Making the most

I set up shop about 6 months ago and have just about got it where I want it. I'm 17 and stuck in a suburban house and as you can imagine, funds and space are limited. It took a lot of effort to reclaim the garage which was previously filled with junk, you couldn't get a yard in without having to walk over stuff, the floor wasn't visible and it looked like something from Hoarders. I cleared it out as best I could, I still have to have a lot of stuff I don't personally use stored in there, but it's generally under control.

To get this to work, most things have to be portable, so it can be stowed away and quickly deployed when I'm doing forge work. This is what I'm dealing with, the garage on my front drive:

aerST.jpg

So my brake drum forge is on wheels, it sits just outside the door so all the smoke goes into the air. I've got my eye out for a crank blower to attach to the side to make it even easier. As it is, I have to bring out a box I made up with a bus demister fan in it, attatch the hose then lug a 24V battery charger to power it, then run an extension cable. It blows 700CFM on full blast though, it doesn't lack for guts! I'll try to get a picture of it set up next time I'm in the shop.

nglpx.jpg

This is my welding bench. It's way to tall. It's a aluminium frame with a wooden top. Really solid. That there on the bench is the work in progress of my belt grinder. Don't worry, those welds are all being redone, gasless MIG really isn't good enough for this stuff. Just got to do that and fit the pillow blocks and drive train.

P3G9R.jpg

Under the bench here I've made room for a tool table. Again, I'm gonna wheel it out near the anvil when I'm forging and tuck it here when I'm not. It'll give my hammers a better place to go, a place for my small punches and chisels and prevent me dumping stuff on my workbench when I'm forging.

6boyb.jpg

This is the main workbench. Built out of timber. Really solid, drawers are from an old unit. I may cover the whole thing with steel sheet so I can put hot stuff on there, and so it can be cleaned easily, this stains badly. Working on the placement of the vises. The container at the end is full of veggie oil for quenching, it's really not ideal, but it works well enough for what I do. On the bench is a bracket I made, my first ornamental project, with an anvil sign I cut that I'm going to hang outside.

rOvSR.jpg

This is just a quick tool rack I made out of scrap wood and a bit of steel sheet. It'll serve until I've built the tool table.

PBkLW.jpg

A final picture. The anvil is dragged further from the wall and it's nice and close to where the forge is when it's out.

RSrJk.jpg

I wish I could show you what it looked like before I requisitioned it. There was just nothing, no tools, no bench, just tons of junk that we threw in there. There's still a lot to do, and I'd be glad for your advice as to how to improve. As a student, I don't get a lot of time, nor money, so I usually have to make do with what I can scrounge, make or find cheap. Lots of rooting through scrapyards! I've only moved to the garage about 3 months ago, which is when I started clearing it out and making it my own. Most of it was built at the weekends. Saturdays I forge, Sundays I either do cold work or fix up the shop. But I got a lot of it done during the school holidays. I think it's reasonably good demo of what you can do with limited space in a suburban area! Also, working on the front drive an a relatively busy street you get a lot of people asking questions and by answering them, you make yourself more sure of what exactly it is that you're doing, and if you're going the right way about it!

Looks like you have a good start.  You might like this example of tool tables/racks. http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/28129-lets-see-your-hammer-and-tool-tables/

I really enjoy Brian Brazeals folding table for holding my tools and such.  So much so that I have plans on making another 2 for me and my striker and 1 for the guild of metalsmiths auction next september. 

I work under a somewhat simmiler situation.  Working out side of the garage. 

You might enjoy a look through my gallery.