I Forge Iron

First attempt at forging.

Derek H

These are my first attempt at using my new forge. I have never done any kind of forging before this.

sml_gallery_29483_12_51571.jpg

This is a split cross I made out of a railroad spike. I used an on old hatchet for a hot cut and as you can see i did not get the cuts straight or even.

sml_gallery_29483_12_2007262.jpg

Here is my first attempt at forging a knife.  It is made from a low carbon railroad spike. It is not very pretty but I don't think its bad for a first try. I made the handle to short however.

sml_gallery_29483_12_1700021.jpg

My second day of forging yielded better results i think.  These two knives are also forged from railroad spikes. I still need to put a little more bevel on the edges and straighten them out some more, however i am very happy i was able to get the shape. Like i said they still need a little refining but i rain out of fuel.  I know railroad spikes will not make good knives but i wanted to use them to practice getting the shape. I think they should make decent throwing knives. 

Let me know what you think.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Derek, your forgings are a good start. We all have to start somewhere. The more we do the more we learn, the more we learn, the more we can do. Keep it up and you will surprise yourself. If you haven't, look around this site and your area for blacksmithing groups. Get with them and you will learn a lot. 

mark <><

• 1 month later...