I Forge Iron

Howdy from Fort Hood!

JCHarris

Howdy! My name is Joel, I'm 24, and completely new to blacksmithing. I'm currently stationed at Ft Hood, Texas and I've been interested in smithing for a while. I've been lurking the forums for a few weeks and (with the wife's blessing), I'm ready to finally take the plunge into smithing!

Any smiths in the Fort Hood area that could point me in the right direction and/or give some guidance. Also I'm looking for any anvils in the area.

Thanks!

-Joel

Hello Joel.  A great place to start is Balcones Forge.  It is a Central Texas Blacksmith Association.  A good part of our membership is located in the Austin area.  We usually meet on the last Saturday of the month.  February 16th we will be meeting in Bryan Texas at Steephollow Forge.  This will be the third year that we will have a joint meeting with HABA (Houston Area Blacksmith Association).  This year the North Texas Blacksmith Association will join us.  This one is well worth the trip.  March 22 - 24 we will be fairly close to the Killeen area.  We will be having our Bluebonnet Demo just out of Marble Falls Texas.  Our demonstrator will be Mark Aspery.  You can find us at http://balconesforge.org/ We look forward to meeting you and any others that are interested.