I Forge Iron

Using coatings like ITC-100...

DocsMachine

I understand that you can use brush-on coatings like ITC-100, to help the efficiency of a forge. But I haven't been able to find the answer to two questions:

One, I read about it being applied to Dura-blanket and Kao-wool type liners, but can it also be used on firebrick? Does it or will it crack off if so used?

And two, can the coating be applied to a "used" liner? In other words, if I build my forge with Kao-wool, and use it a couple of times, can I later go in and apply the ITC-100 to the wool and have it work properly? (And not crack and fall off, etc.)

Doc.

Never tried it on fire brick,but after weldin in my forge it eats the lineing out so I patch the holes with satenite then ITC-100.
The ITC is a refractory it helps hold the heat in your forge works great.
Hope this helps.So yes you can put in on after the forge is used a while.

It doesnt really hold well on fire brick, because the brick is so dense that the itc100 beads dont have any place to cling, but there isnt a big reason to put itc100 on your firebrick either. You can put itc100 on kaowool after it's been fired up just fine. I find it easiest to apply itc100 by removing the wool blanket (wear gloves the stuff is like fiber glass insulation in that it splinters) getting the itc100 very wattery and then lathering it on liberally with a stiff bristle paint brush. let it air dry for 15 minutes or so then put the kaowool back in the forge, and press it back into the edges to compact it a little bit. Then replace any firebrick floor or the like, and add your satinite around the edges of the firebrick to keep flux off the kaowool.

There's no need now to wait for everything to 'dry out' just fire up the forge and let it heat cure for 20 mintues or so, it'll cook allt he water out of the kaowool and satinite.