I Forge Iron

Cutting cast iron

I've got an old cast iron forge that I want to modify to accept a firepot. This particular forge that I have wasn't made to use a firepot.
Could anybody give me some suggestions as to how to go about cutting the cast iron so I can put a cast iron firepot in the forge?
Thanks
David

- cutting cast iron? - you can use an abrasive cut off wheel on an angle grinder - pretty quick and cost effective..... plasma cutter - better if you have one handy...much quicker. either way will give you good results - cut off wheels are cheap enough so even if you go through a few it's no big deal. After all the fire pots are not that big so it wouldn't take long to use a cut off wheel - I've cut them for the same purpose with the plasma cutter(although I have one handy) and it worked great. - JK

Dave,

You can also use a reciprocating saw (either a "saber saw" or a "sawzall") with a metal cutting blade. Drill a hole in the scrap piece big enough to insert the blade.

BTW, whar you from boy? I see your signature line and that you are above the Mason-Dixon. Cain't get any decent Gulf shrimp that far north...

David, I'd skip the sawzall if I were you and stick to the cutoff wheels. All it would take with a reciprocating saw is one tooth to snag, and you will be looking at a silver dollar sized chunk cracked out of your forge pan. Ask me how I know.