I Forge Iron

fisher anvil with handles?

When doing a welding job at a local farm last week, I came across a beatup hay budden, a heavy legvise and several other unused forgotten blacksmith tools about the shop, havent quite worked out a purchase yet, but I also found a cast anvil with a top plate and what appeared to be the Fisher eagle on the side, what I found surprising as a pair of handles cast on to the anvil at the base, I would guess it to be 55-60 lbs, in fair condition, not really an anvil I would want to use just found the included handles to be very curious. Not sure if these are rare or if I just havent heard of them?

Fisher often cast steel handles into their smaller sawmaker anvils. I have several with "carry" handles. In the last few months, a few Fisher anvils with handles cast into them have come to light.

The first one I bought is an 1860's era with the small round eagle. It has one handle under the horn. It is 100 lbs.

The second one is an 1870's era with the large proud Eagle. It originally had two handles, one under the horn and one under the heal. The heal handle is long gone, with the round stubs still in the casting. This one is 150 lbs.

There was one on EBAY a few months ago that I missed, but did not sell.

The one you found is the fourth one to come to light recently. If you could get photos of it, that would be much appreciated. (And if it is for sale, please let me know)

As to the rarity, who knows. I thought they were unique, till the second, third, and now fourth appeared. If any one else knows of any, please chime in.

Ill try to get a picture this week, I wirebrushed some rust and paint from the side to reveal the eagle, and like I said I guess it to be 55ish pounds, and a standard pattern for a cast body anvil, with a small horn and small hardyhole. The farmer is very friendly and talkative, just not terribly interested in selling anything, I was trying not to be too excited, finding a serious heavy vise, 2 anvils, and tripping over a big old hot punch without even digging around. You start to get that feeling like ..Im going to stumble on a big swage block here any muinite..... I think the old stuff belongs to "the farm" so it used to be grandpa's and now it might belong to any of the brothers or all of them...none being interested in any of it, but not excited about parting with it. I can relate to this and wasnt going to push. But I can certainly stop back and get a picture, and test the waters again about buying something.