I Forge Iron

Dry cut saws on stainless

Does anyone have any experience using one of the carbide drycut saws that are like a chopsaw but lower rpm on stainless? I have a big bandsaw that I use for most of my cutting but I have a job I am doing tomorrow where I will have to cut some 1.5" stainless after bending, and I have another job where I have to trim the ends of some bent bars. They are very awkward to set up in the bandsaw and the frame of the saw sometimes get in the way because of the bends.

Well I went ahead and bought a Morse Metal Devil Saw this morning. It worked well cutting the 7/8" mild steel. I then bent the 1.5" stainless and managed to make my bends so I ended up only having to cut one. It cut the one stainless bar easily but I don't know how well it would have stood up to making 14 cuts through the 1.5" stainless. I had planned on leaving this on the shelf and only using it for specific jobs but I think I am going to make a small stand and use it for a lot of my small bar cutting. It is faster than setting up the bandsaw for small stuff.