I Forge Iron

New Guy from northern Kentucky.

Hello!

This forum was suggested to me by a friend.

I'm hesitant to call my self anything other than a newbie, but I have made a couple
very simple things ( removable pins for a folding chair ) in my forge and burned a
LOT of scrap wood from my shop...

largeforgeII.jpg

and this....

steelstriker.jpg

It looks great and fits inside the Altoids tin, but apparently it was the wrong kind
of steel. I guess the pretty sparks my grinder made was from the case hardened surface.
It was a cheap combo rasp. I managed to draw out the handle nicely, the offset was not too
hard to do, the little twist was fun... and it will not throw sparks at all. I've tried to temper
it a couple times.... no difference.

I've been working on a hand cranked blower to replace the electric one I have now...
Not so much replace as it is to give myself more choices. I had the blower fan and
the spirit of Rube Goldburg spoke to me and this was the result. I still have to hook
it up and try it out but it looks like it might work.... Since the picture was taken I've
removed the pedals and replaced them with handles.

blowerV-1.jpg

I'm thinking seriously about going to Quad State this fall...

http://www.iforgeiro...for-a-beginner/

I just wanted to say " Hi! "

Hello Jim and welcome to IFI. Great little sight here with lots of info and a great bunch of guys! Did you harden that item after you forged it out? This may be why it won't spark for you. You mention a temper but no hardening! Just curious.