I Forge Iron

First forged knife

OzMatt

Hey All,

Thought I would share the first forged knife (and second knife made) that I recently completed.
This was an experiment in making a hidden tang knife, getting the feel of forging a blade, and heat treating. It is certainly not perfect, but I think I learnt a lot making this.
As you can see there are some rough spots from forging on the blade, which some may not like, but I like to think of it as 'character' :-)
Now I need to try my hand hand at making a leather sheath.

Anyway, blade is 4140 steel, handle olive wood, and pins and bolster brass.
Overall length is 180mm

Any comments or tips welcome!
Cheers,
Matt
7542232530_d2b7f0a409_c.jpg

G'day Matt, that is a strange looking unit, but for some reason, the more I look at it, the more I like it. Would make a great skinning blade.
Nice wood-work. Thanks for putting it out there. Great effort for a first go.
I too like the 'character' look

Fantastic first forge! Nothing says something is hand made like leaving it a little roughed-up; I sure like it.
In the future be weary of where the pointer finger will sit - looks like it'd be awfully easy to slide forward and cut yourself.
Can't wait to see your next blade!

If in the future you want a smoother forged knife try reducing the force of your hammer blows once you are close to thw desired thickness, make sure you hit flat and your hammers been dressed. Using a flattiner that you bought or made will also help