I Forge Iron

Balcones Forge - Central Texas Blacksmith Association

Jerry W.

We have big things planned for Balcones Forge. Our July meeting will be on the 28th at the Boerne Ag Museum. Joe Travieso and David Walden will have the forges fired up and will demonstrate making a damascus billet. They will be using the hydraulic press that Joe has made out of a hydraulic log splitter. In an attempt to beat the heat, they have requested that we start at 9:00am. July is July, I don't care what time we start. We will be having a "Judged Item" rather than a "Trade Item". We are making a SAWTOOTH TRAMMEL. We will have a prize for the best one.

Because of the heat, we will not have a meeting in August.

September will be at the Blacksmith Shop at Conservation Plaza in New Braunfels, Texas. I am not sure about the Trade Item.

October will be at my shop in Devine, Texas. The Trade Item is a forged bottle opener. I have not demonstrated before but, I will be practicing my bottle opener to demo at this meeting. We are planning barbeque with all of the trimmings. I have plenty of forges but, we will need anvils. We can make this an all day event.

Gary Hilton is planning to host the November meeting. Trade Item (I think it is another Judged Item. Should be a Goffering Iron).

We are open for suggestions for December.

We have a great group with very talented smiths. Many are very willing to share their knowledge. Our website can be found at balconesforge.org and we are also on Facebook.

We look forward to seeing you there.......

Jerry W.

Sorry, there are two more events that need to be mentioned.

February 2013 we will again have a joint meeting with Houston Area Blacksmith Association (HABA). It will be held at the shop of the Lee Brothers, Steephollow Forge Works. They put on one heck of a demonstration.

March 2013 is our Bluebonnet Demo. It will be held just out of Marble Falls, Texas and we have Mark Aspery scheduled to demo for us.

These are two more events that you do not want to miss.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget our meeting tomorrow at the Boerne Ag Museum. This will be another great meeting for our knifemakers. After the demo we will have an open forge for members. If you have made any blades, please bring them for 'Show and Tell'. Hope you finished your trammel, Rudy has a great prize for the best one. We are looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. Jerry W.