I Forge Iron

junkyard helve hammer

I finished the helve hammer I started last fall in time for the guild meeting at my shop here in April,

lots of information in this slide show though not particularly exciting, I have drawn out some 1-1/4 stock with this hammer in testing, needs some tuning and tweaking, as expected, but it hits seriously hard Im making another video of actual forging, once everything is right, I have found that any bolt even if tight and lock washered will come loose and needs to be locktighted, have gone to type C crushed lock nuts also, major saftey issue on a new build, everyone at the meeting was impressed and Im pretty happy with the build, total build time is about 50 hours and $160 mostly bolts and paint, all junkyard steel

Well alright Woodsmith... Glad to see you finished and it turned out to be acceptable... I've been watching your progress since I found the first video on youtube a while back.

I really like the tire drive assembly mounted so low in the framework that should eliminate rocking generated on other hammer designs where the tire is up high. The positioning of it inline should help also... I like it too.