I Forge Iron

Question about a forge pot project

flat lander

I have been reading about all of your projects and a got a wild hair today and started building a forge pot for my self. And I have a question for the experts. I made the pot out of 5/8" mild steel plate at the top it is 11 1/2" X 12 1/2 and the bottom is 5 1/2" sq. and right now it is 4 1/2" deep. All dimensions are inside dimensions

I am planning of using the forge for probably not more than 1/2" sq. stock I may go bigger but right now that is the largest material and I will be useing charcoal for the fuel and if I get that down I may add coke no coal I do not want the smoke.

My 1st question is. Is 4 1/2" to deep , to shallow or just right I have not made the top flange yet and I can trim it down if I need to at this point.

My 2nd question is since I am building the pot I can build the air intake and ash dump. Should I go with 3" , 3 1/2" or 4 " Diameter.

My 3rd question is.I have not decided if I am going with the coke at this point so should I install a clinker breaker or just use a grate.

Thanks for all of the advice that you have given me on other topics. You have helped me out a lot in such a short time.

1) I got several people to measure their firepot depth an 4 inch was typical with some deeper.
2) 2 inch is small for that size of pot, but would probably work. 3 inch is typical based on the above measurements.
3) clinker breaker or not make sure whatever is down there won't pull out by accident when you clean your fire out.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

An up date on my forge pot.

I tried the pot today and I could not keep up with it I put about 10 1/2" bars in it to make tent stakes . 3/4" radius bend at one end and pointed at the other end. it took me about 1 hour and 45 min. to make 28 complete and another 11 with just the bend and I am worn out.
I burned about 12 lbs. of charcoal. I do not think that that is to bad for my first time on the forge.

Thanks guys for all of your help I realy Appreciate all that you have biven me and the other nubee's on the site