I Forge Iron

New Vise stand

sanddraggin

I finally made a vise stand. I've had the vise kicking around for a few months and never had a chance to use it. It's a 4" and weighs in at about 45 lbs. I liked the striking vise stand so well I copied it even though mine is still full length. I need to put another brace on it cause the vise moves a little if I really crank on it, but other than that it works good.

post-17657-0-22668200-1327206716_thumb.j

post-17657-0-88387400-1327207023_thumb.j

Nice looking stand. If you find that the stand moves around when using tools like bending jigs, forks, and such, you could weld angles between the legs at the bottom and balast the bench with solid concrete blocks or what ever is available. My bench is a bit larger but lightly constructed so that it can be moved easily out of the way. The problem was †hat lateral work loads moved the bench around when I needed a stable work platform. I solved that problem by welding a few bars across the bench base on which I placed some nice big 4" thick paver blocks for balast. I can still remove a block or two and move the bench out of the way then Re balast the bench base. A bench that moves when working can be a real irritration. My recollection is that Nevada has no shortage of stone lying around I already had the pavers handy but stone would work as well.

Anchor it into the concrete. I used 2 x 4 inch tube steel for the legs on my 6 inch vise, and used 3/8 inch "Red Head" anchors. it does not move at all. I drill through the slab when I use anchors so I can drive them down when I move things around.

I need it to still be pretty mobile so I can work on other projects(cars, motorcycles, cigarbox guitars) so I'm not going to anchor it but I really like the suggestion about the ballast. I think when I build the lower leg support I'll make it a shelf so I can try that. Thanks

This thread has me re-thinking my ballast. I just consolidated my two shops into a smaller area and currently have buckets of steel scrap taking up needed floor space. I think that I will move the concrete pavers out and build a box into my bench base for all of the scraps. I only need about 200 lbs of ballast and should easily have that much good scrap to throw in there.

sanddraggin - Set the shelf as low as possible without messing up the benifit if the tripod legs. My balast shelf is only 1/4" off of the floor since it will always live on a concrete floor slab.