I Forge Iron

Firepot Question

arcc

I'm building a new forge, one that will work much better than the one I'm using now, however I have a question. My firepot will be 4 to 4 1/2 inches deep, should I make the top of the firepot level with the table or bump it up off the table around an 1/2 inch and cut a 1/2 notch into the firepot for the steel to sit in.

Any opinions appreciated.

I welded up mine out of 1/2" plate. It has a 1/2" thick x 1" wide lip all the way around. Having this lip lets it just set in the hearth without being attached. Some will tell you to mount it flush so to make it easier to rake in fuel. I have not found it to be an inconvience to me. Make yourself a proper rake and I doubt that it will be a problem. Even with the fire pot 4" deep, you should have 3 or 4" of coke above the top. I have a slot cut in the lip around my hearth but not in the lip around the fire pot. This works well for me, but consider all options before you make a final descision,

I made my fire pot of 3/8" plate and the rim is 1/8". The thing sits on top of the table is not a problem to rake the coal around. It is not attached, just sits there. I could remove it if there was a need to make a repair on the pot, tuyere or table.