I Forge Iron

Would appreciate some advice regarding a Beaudry No. 7 power hammer.

A individual is willing to sell one to me. It has no motor with it, he has never used it, and stated he knew nothing about any past history of the power hammer.

It sat outside for xxxxx number of years before he bought it. For the past several years it's had a roof over it, but considering how long it sat outside exposed to the elements that seems immaterial to me.

He told me he knew of no issues with the machine, but again that seems immaterial to me since he knows nothing about it previous to having purchased it, and still knows nothing about it since he's never used it.

In short, how much MIGHT some of you consider this "pig in a poke" to be worth?

Could anyone give me a few ideas of what could be wrong with the machine? Worst case scenarios are more than welcome.

I've saw a few pictures of it, and anyone can tell it has been outdoors for a VERY long time. Any ideas, information, etc. are more than welcome via pm, or posted in this thread.

I have a #4 and bought it in "not running" condition about 20 years ago. Worst case, one or both of the spring arms are busted, the inside of the ram is worn so much that the rollers are dragging on the axles, the main drive shaft and/or bearing is worn out, the ram is broken ,etc. Parts will probably have to be fabricated as very few are available.

With that said, I'd buy it in a New York minute for scrap price or so because they are one of the better mechanical hammers and worth restoring. Be advised that you will probably need about a 7 hp motor to drive it; ram weight is 175 lbs - a good size for general work. If you are mechanically minded and have access to a lathe and mill, it would be relatively easy to repair all but the worst damage.

Check the dovetails over real good I have seen alot of hammers that have set outside for a longtime with cracked or broken off dovetails check the ram dovetails good too, being it's set outside in the elements for along time the rollers on the end of the spring arms may be froze up or have flats wore on them or as Hollis said the ram may be cracked, broken or severely worn on the inside and wearing on the roller axles. the crank and crank pin bearings could be worn out also,those are some things to look for on a slack belt model, if its a friction clucth model there is alot of other things to look for( do you know if it is a slack belt type or a clucth model)? Check to see how the motor was mounted before and how many times someone has drilled extra holes in the casting. A hammer that size will take at least a 7 1/2 horse motor and if it is a slack belt type check to see how worn out the idler pully up top is, it will also have to have tower or some kind of mount to run it, (unless you will run it on a line shaft)belts, bearings, pullys you will have to come up with to run it.a substantal foundation to mount it to,(reinforced concrete or hardwood like white oak) that hammer is a 2 piece, as the hammer is separate frome the anvil, alittle more particular to set up than a one piece. If your not afraid of alittle work, time,money and have a way to handle heavy parts and can buy it reasonable restore it they are well worth it in the end in my opinion, also keep in mind like Hollis said parts for Beaudry's are hard to come by so you will most likely to make them yourself or look to shell ot some cash to have them made. hope this helps you. Where are you located?

Willey

I'ld be most concerned about possible cracks or problems with the frame casting & ram and the condition of the bearing on the main shaft. Most of the other stuff could be repaired with enough time & money. The condition of the spring arms and rollers is important to but I've seen people get those replaced/repaired.

Location and situation of purchase & removal can make a big difference on price. I paid on the high end for the one I bought but it was in fair condition, close to me, and the fellow I bought it from had a crane to move/load it on my trailer.

The literature I've seen list a #7 as 200lb ram weight and 4400lb machine weight. Also calls out 225 rpm at the main shaft of the hammer (850 rpm motor if no lineshaft/jackshaft is used)

"With that said, I'd buy it in a New York minute for scrap price or so because they are one of the better mechanical hammers and worth restoring."

I really appreciate any, and all advice at this point in the proceedings. One thing you stated Mr. Woolridge is what's been going through my mind, and that's why I guess a personal visit will be the only way I can resolve things. Because he wants a tad more than scrap price for it, and everything which has been brought up thus far makes me seriously question what he wants for it.

If anyone else has the desire to add to this thread PLEASE do so.

I don't want to let a good thing slip away, BUT I'm not interested in throwing my money away either.

There have recently been 2 anyang 165 hammers for sale and probably still are for $7500 and $7800. Your 200 lb #7 probably has similar capabilities- I have not run one so can not say for sure. But basing size - dollar ratio can you have it running for less than $7000 or so? I would thin so barring serious damage. You will likely have a better machine as well.

Pictures! That's the only way to give an assessment that's even close to definitive. I think what's been said is as good as it gets without an image(s). This decision is a biggie for you I reckon so in order to nail it, beg borrow or steal a camera.........Besides PH pix are the closest thing to a centerfold we get see here....... :D

I REALLY appreciate all the advice, and will jot a lot of the info you gentlemen have offered down.

In posts 2,4, & 5 THANKS for the lists of things I need to check out when I go view the hammer. I will definitely keep all those things in mind!

Thanks again fellows ALL the input is greatly appreciated.

I will post pics of the hammer if I end up acquiring it.

I will take the opportunity to post this link;
http://www.leboncoin.fr/materiel_professionnel/263741854.htm?ca=16_s

It's an old posting, but this guy has had it up for sale a few times. It is probably too big for most people.
Find a French speaking friend to negotiate, it might cost a few grand to ship to the US, but it might be worth it?

Looks to be a Beaudry Peerless I have never seen one run would be cool to see it run it used a crossover linkage on the ram (different than the champion or utility hammers), looks like the casting on that one may have been fixed once. would be fun to see it up close and see some other views of it. I wounder if there is a Beaudry Cylinder hammer out there in the world somewhere? would love to see one of those too! thanks for the link.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a No.7 also. The main shaft is 4 1/2" dia and runs in a bronze bushing 12" long. If this had water in it it could be rusted solid. You may have to grind the shaft and make a new bushing. The crosshead could be in the same shape.The guides and ram would be the next concern. They could be heavily pitted from being wet and in close contact with each other. They could be remachined But it would take a big mill and expensive cutters to do it. It would be possible to do that by hand but it would take several days of hand scraping. I would go $1000.00 on it. If you send it out to get all the work done it would be expensive. If you can get this hammer running it is possible to draw out 30" tong handles in 1" round in one heat easy. I draw out 60" handles in 1 7/8" 4140 round in three heats. I can repoint a 6" round hoe ram chisel or draw a point on 1/4" round and everything in between. My hammer sometimes makes me $200.00 an hour! It is an awesome machine!