I Forge Iron

New to the craft...

Smithc11369

Good Morning guys,

I want to start off by saying that I have spent most of my work night reading post after post of this awesome website. Recently I've been trying to learn as much as I can about Blacksmithing as I can because I'm very interested in making knives. I've always had a interest in a well made, razor sharp knife that will hold an edge. It took up until now to realize that I might just as well make my own. There is so much information on this website and I feel privileged to have stumbled upon it.

I contacted a local Blacksmith yesterday and expressed my interest in knife making and general smithing. He said even though his specialty isn't knives, I could come by and check out his shop and maybe sometime soon, work on a project knife in his studio. He sent me home to do my homework and to learn all about different types of steels and variations of knives, instructing me to learn as much as I could, then come back and work some steel out.

I just felt I would share a little about myself and introduce myself to this very cool website. Thank you so much for letting me be a part of your forum and thanks for all the helpful tips and information each of you provides. I think I may have found a hobby I can stick with!

Chad Smith
Brooklyn, MI

hi chad - yes very cool and useful website - youll find a lot of what you need to get started on here - sounds even better that you have someone on hand to work with - thats the best thing ever - if you have questions that need answering you will be overwhelmed with a Variety of answers!! i dont know about knives, but i like looking at them - good luck to you :)