I Forge Iron

Ironwork Today 3

Randy

Ironwork Today 3: Inside and Out

by Jeffrey B. Snyder

ISBN: 9780764338762

Size: 11 x 8 1/2

256 pages

Currently available through Schiffer Books http://www.schifferbooks.com/newschiffer//book_template.php?isbn=9780764338762 @ $50.00

Book Description

Over 450 vivid color photos provide a sweeping overview of the amazing range of iron artwork being created by 82 of today’s artist-blacksmiths. These works in metal are found in public spaces, offices, and homes. They vary in size from small, everyday objects to staggering public monuments. The pieces, discussed by the artists who made them, include sculpture, gates, railings, furniture, lighting fixtures, doors, locks, and much more. This book, the third in an ongoing series, has artwork arranged by the artist alphabetically, rather than in categories. This allows readers to see the full scope of each artist’s work together on adjoining pages. Here readers will find some artists whose work they have seen in other books in this series; others they are meeting for the first time. This book will be a prized reference guide and source of inspiration for homeowners, designers, artists, and blacksmiths as a fascinating snapshot of current trends in this dynamic, growing field of artistic endeavor.

Okay that's what they said about it. I just got my copy and I love what they've done this time. This is the latest in a series originally started by Dona Z. Meilach. The 2 previous books were organized by item: railings, gates, furniture, lighting, etc. This one is organized by artist. This allows you to see a body of work of one smith at a time and presents a better picture of their work as a whole. I was impressed with the variety and quality of work and photography. I was pleased to see the number of women smiths and how so many countries were represented. Each artist has their name along with their works and town, state and email address featured at the top of the first page of their work. Some pages only have one photo so that detail is clearly shown. I also enjoy the artists' statements and information about the work next to each photo. Though not a how-to book there is a lot to be learned here. As this only came out 2 weeks ago only Schiffer has the book now, but once distribution has kicked in it will be available at most dealers.

If you enjoyed the previous two books or just want to see how this craft has grown in skill and design this is a must have for your collection.

post-1310-0-23674600-1324393409_thumb.jp