I Forge Iron

goliath ram desperately wanted

hey there......new to this site so hey guys thanks for being here

moved recently to northern portugal from england so i could set up a small forge making furniture in steel and wood...

very excited and frustrated....problem over here is that when anything goes wrong (laws of nature make it so) i struggle to find spares or equipment

i shipped over a 60lb goliath power hammer i bought off the bay in england and am at present restoring her to fully serviced and functional with new motor......she really is a delight and in very good nick all bar one problem....the ram has been smashed at some point and modified by welding together as opposed to original and will at some point break apart i am sure and will certainly not allow hammer to run as smooth as it should...

so basically i am after a ram with the two link arms for the 60lb goliath a long shot i guess but am loving this hammer and would so it it to perform as it should

regards mike

I was going to point you to the thread on BB but I see you found it :D

You should make an engineering drawing of the ram whilst the hammer is stripped and then it would be fairly easy to get one made as a spare at your leisure when the hammer is operational (you could machine from solid easily enough)

Guessing you would get change from a £1000/ for a new ram.

When I got my Beaudry, the ram was cracked right across at the thinnest section where the rollers travel. I cut two pieces of 1/4" steel plate to cover both front and back sides, with several holes for plug welding and the appropriate cut-outs for access to the inside of the ram. I bought a couple pounds of the best quality cast iron stick rod I could afford and stitched the plates onto the ram with plug welds and short beads along the edges (all followed by peening) Thirty years later, the repair is still holding with no signs of deterioration.