I Forge Iron

blower, can it be fixed

Mike R

I relative has an old forge with a blower that had a crank wheel on it. The crank wheel is totaly busted up and the blower crank appears to be busted off flush with the blower case. Can this be fixed and just put a handle on it?

I know nothing about blowers. Was planning to use an exhaust motor out of a 90% gas furnace for blower but from what I read a hand blower is more controlable and possably use less fuel.

Pic of one similar is attached.

pic of forge like shirlys.pdf

I have a similar forge with busted blower, and have used functional ones, the fins in the blower were really crude and slow turning way to much effort and noise to make enough air to forge anything, the pump handle and ratchet look neat but it ends there, (I have it in the front yard as a barbecue grill works great for that) I would rather use a good hand crank blower like a lancaster or champion, than an electric when they are smooth and quiet, but would much rather use an electric than a slow noisy crank blower, just mount up your furnace blower with an air gate on the intake side so you can choke down the air flow without burning out the motor, and mount a toggle switch up were its easy to reach, if you make those two controls convenient to reach you should be able to control the air and be happy with the results
Woodsmith