I Forge Iron

Forge Fix

stuarthesmith

I re'cently bought this rivet forge pan at a farm auction for fifty bucks. No grate, no ash dump, no inlet, no nothin' ! First I drilled out three holes in an old concrete saw blade to match three holes drilled in the forge pan. Then, with a hole saw, I drilled a hole on one pipe for an ash dump. Then I ground a second, identical pipe, to match the hole in the ash dump for an air inlet pipe. Then I welded the two together at right angles. Then I welded the entire ash dump set up to the saw blade, which I bolted to the bottom of the forge pan. Finally, I took a piece of half inch thick plate and drilled it multiple times for a grate. Then, and this is the good part, I welded a round ring matching the big hole in the cast iron forge pan, making this grate removeable and interchangeable. I am immediately applying for a patent for this "grate" idea! The whole job took me an hour and a half.

post-10332-0-50027300-1322014433_thumb.j

post-10332-0-45859600-1322014450_thumb.j

post-10332-0-33047300-1322014467_thumb.j

post-10332-0-64684500-1322014484_thumb.j

post-10332-0-74165100-1322080025_thumb.j

I have a very similar forge. However, I made a false bottom out of 1/4" plate and bolted that down. Then, I welded the grate w/holes to that. I'd like to get away from claying the bottom of the forge, but with the fire direct on the 1/4 plate, the forge pops and crackles like a cast iron engine block after it has been fired for some time. I'm affraid something is going to split apart!

You get any loud metalic pops after it's been up to temperature for say 20 min?????

Pehaps I should have left all the attatching hardware loose.................................??????