I Forge Iron

Poor hammer!!!

It looks like it was used as a fuller and not a hammer. You use it to make a groove or start a tenon. It could sure use a better method of holding it though. You set on a piece of hot steel and strike it with another hammer, rotate your piece of steel, hit it again, rotate your piece of steel, set it in place again, hit it again until you have done all four face of say a 1" square piece of steel and there you have the start of a tenon. Then you draw it out to say a 1/2" round and then heat up again and drive it in to a hole on your swage block to square up the shoulder. Fullers are very handy tools to have around the forge but that one looks ill used.

It's certainly shaped like a cross-pein hammer. Amazing what can happen to things over the years.

It's absolutely a crosspein. I knew it was a modified hammer when I picked it up. It looks just like my new crosspein only mushroomed......and rusty.........and a very uncomfortable handle.....did I mention rusty? Lol

Don't clean it too much, it's got some lovely pitting.

I've got an old shop and there are some tools in it that were clearly worn into bizarre shapes by years of use, not modification or abuse. These things happen gradually, that hammer face starts spreading, maybe the curve means it leaves fewer marks on the plow points.

"Oh, I should grind those off, well they're not cracking yet and I've got something to finish." "Oh I should grind that down, but I only need it for a few licks." Repeat a couple hundred times :-)