I Forge Iron

DIY gas forge design?

Karn3

I currently have a solid fuel fire, and it's great. I can do everything in it, but I have decided to move into more of the blade smithing side of things and would like to get/make a propane forge for all the fire welding (cleaner fire etc.). I've done some searches on the and found many designs and tutorials for making a gas forge. Being relatively inexperienced with them though I can't tell what is a good design and what isn't. I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people could perhaps steer in the right direction. I will start with knives and hopefully move onto swords, so if I can build something that will be suitable for both that would be excellent. If not that's fine I'll just build two :). Any hints, tips, and links will be greatly appreciated. When I start building it I'll upload some pics so you can see how I'm doing.

Karn3- I'm kinda of in the same boat, but different reasons. Here we have a problem with burn bans (one just lifted after about 45 days) which means I can't always fire the old coal forge up. So I was thinking about a gas one as well, because we can use propane during the bans. Like you, I have also found enough information that I get kinda of confused on which way to go. Thanks for a post that will help me and probably others.

• 4 weeks later...

I currently have a solid fuel fire, and it's great. I can do everything in it, but I have decided to move into more of the blade smithing side of things and would like to get/make a propane forge for all the fire welding (cleaner fire etc.). I've done some searches on the and found many designs and tutorials for making a gas forge. Being relatively inexperienced with them though I can't tell what is a good design and what isn't. I was wondering if any of you knowledgeable people could perhaps steer in the right direction. I will start with knives and hopefully move onto swords, so if I can build something that will be suitable for both that would be excellent. If not that's fine I'll just build two :). Any hints, tips, and links will be greatly appreciated. When I start building it I'll upload some pics so you can see how I'm doing.

Check out Larry Zoeller's very good site:

http://www.zoellerforge.com/simplegasforge.html

and

http://www.zoellerforge.com/firebrickforge2.html

My gas forge resembles the firebrick forge, except that I've not used the steel frame on the outside, relying on the mortar to hold everything together.