I Forge Iron

amature just starting

Hi all, im trying to set up my first forge, i have an oul drum that im looking to hammer down like a calypso steel drum, i have a short length of tent stove pipe to use as an ash chute and cut a slot in it to angle air up into the coal base, and for the air supply, i have some 1 to 1.5 inch inner diameter sump pump hose and i was wondering if anyone knew whart else i could do with the materials, i have a 16 inch truck wheel rim but cannot find any non gav or ABS plastic flanges and pipes, any advice??

This is MY method to remove galv, If you aren't comfortable handling acid don't try it!........... Take a 5gal bucket........immerse the galv fittings......pour in a cup +- of muriatic acid........galv gone in 5-10 minutes...rinse well....mb

This is MY method to remove galv, If you aren't comfortable handling acid don't try it!........... Take a 5gal bucket........immerse the galv fittings......pour in a cup +- of muriatic acid........galv gone in 5-10 minutes...rinse well....mb

sounds good, im trying to cut the oil drum i have in half either make a bowl or to make it like a bbq style and put a pipe, either 1 1/2 inch pipe thru the drain hole and drill holes in the pipe to be the vent, do you think it might work??

Have you had a look at the 55 forge plans pinned to the top of this forum yet? Simple to make and works really well.

i glanced on them and im so out in the woods i cant get alot of the parts, im going to cut it a foot down and put a 2 inch pipe in the side of the drum with maybe a brick and seal the hole with jb weld, i think it will work out, ill post pics when i fire it up