I Forge Iron

Hi, My name is Jono.

Jono

Hi, my name is Jono, I'm 17 and in the Pretoria area, ever since I heard of Blacksmithing I have always wanted to do it and now I can talk to people who actually know what is happening. Its actually pretty exciting. So I wanted to ask: what is a good way to start out, I mean like the very begging. I know nothing about Blacksmithing, but I want to learn

Hi, my name is Jono, I'm 17 and in the Pretoria area, ever since I heard of Blacksmithing I have always wanted to do it and now I can talk to people who actually know what is happening. Its actually pretty exciting. So I wanted to ask: what is a good way to start out, I mean like the very begging. I know nothing about Blacksmithing, but I want to learn

Hello Jono,
And welcome to a world of hard physical work and lots of dirt and sweat and even more of accomplishment and satisfaction,

I've been at it for at least 15 years now, started out as a knife forger(bladesmith) and that started by taking a course in bladesmithing followed by an advanced course with heavin forge (check out their website)in
Mpumalanga when they were still operating from Gold reef city.

Since then I have come quite a way and mostly taught myself from sites on the internet (Check out Anvilfire as well as this one and various others)and of course reading lots of literature on smithing which is available on all the above sites and many others besides.
Secondly, hook up with Blacksmiths in your area.Check out the list of names and particulars in this forum.There are a number of operators in your area.Do not hesitate to call them, they are the nicest people imaginable, believe me.

Blacksmiths in general are tractable and easy going, and having stood close to and experienced the "breath of the dragon" first hand none of them will ever go to hell. They already know what hot really means.

Seriously though, basic equipment is what you will require as well as a place to work and a lot of information.The best way to go about it is to hook up with experienced working smiths first. You will pick up unbelievable tips.

I am personally stationed in Henley on Klip in the Meyerton area and if you ever are in this vicinity you are more than welcome to visit.

I have just compiled some lectures and practical exercises for beginners so you are more than welcome to pop by.

Let me assure you in closing that once you are hooked on smithing it will change your life.

Regards
The Bear
aka Herman Bayer