I Forge Iron

My first rose, my first blacksmithing.

Paragon

Well, here it is. This is the rose I mentioned in a few other posts. My first blacksmithing (if you can call it that). I gave the rose to my Mom for Christmas.

1strose.jpg
1strosebud.jpg
(new camera so focus is a little off)

Rose: 1" & 1 1/4" square tubing. Stem: 1/8"x1/2" hot roll. Leaf: 3/8" cold roll square. Brass wire wheel in the angle grinder and a coat of Beeswax (propane heated).
I worked on it for 3 days so I do not know how long it actually took me but I know a second one would be a lot less time.
No forge - oxy-acetylene torch for heating. No anvil - 6" block of steel for the flat, 11" long 3/4" diameter center punch (pointed chisel) and the handle end of a 5' long prybar 1" (might be 1 1/4") diameter for the horn. I eventually rounded the end of the large prybar to aid in shaping the bud. Had all the hammers I will probably ever need - most used was the cross-peen and the ball-peen. I used the cross-peen and the edge of the prybar for starting the fullering and finished with the shaft of a bolt (1/2" diameter ?)
Fullering wasn't too bad. Localizing the heat to the ring and frequent turning left the rose undistorted for the most part.

Also, after I finished with the inner bud, my brother wanted to make one for his girlfriend so I helped him in the middle of working on mine. He did really well (helped I just made on so it was a lot easier to guide him) and it only took us about three hours. I helped with fullering, used a section of stem I had, touched up the leaf a little and did the welding for him. Brass wire wheel in the angle grinder and a quick spray of satin clear. (can't even tell the leaf fell off the stem a few times ;) )
Bud: 1" square tubing. Stem: 1/8"x1/2" hot roll. Leaf: 3/8" cold roll square
(phone picture)

rosebud.jpg

Anyhoo, I'm hooked.
I was lucky to have the materials around (have other welding projects going)
Next rose will be a Russian rose. Next project, not sure but I have ideas. Might have to finish up the welding projects first. I'm to the point that I rather make gifts than buy them. Only trouble is time. I have a while for a wedding gift at least.

Thanks for looking.. and for the new hobby.