I Forge Iron

Newly compleated Wakizashi Sword and Tanto

Graham Fredeen

Here are the most recent pieces I have finished, both being commissioned work. A 28" straight-bladed wakizashi, and a 12" tanto. The overall blade length of the Wakizashi is 20", and the tanto has an 8" blade. Both are forged, 5160 spring steel, heat treated. I cast the brass collar and pommel pieces, which gave me a great deal of trouble, one of those situations where the right casting material would have made a difference. The scabbards and grips are both red oak, with an ebony stain, and then a black leather wrap.

The Wakizashi blade is engraved with the japanese symbols for Aikido, as per request of the client.

Comments, questions, criticisms all welcome.

1462.attach

1463.attach

1464.attach

1465.attach

1466.attach

Thankyou all.

Ezra, it verywell could be. I am no expert in japanese weaponry. I just know the standard broad classifications. I just made what the client wanted. He expressed a desire for a short "katana" that could be wielded in close quarters, with a straight blade. The resulting design was that of a wakizashi length blade, but straight like that of a ninjitsu blade. Then he e-mailed me pictures of the Aikido symbols to be engraved on the blade. And then I made it.

I appologize for the quality of the pictures, being so dark and all. I am no professional photographer. Normally I try to take the pictures outside where there is plenty of light, but that blizzard Colorado had a week ago prevented that.