I Forge Iron

1,500# Steam Hammer

Pix of this bruiser were taken today in Denver. I think it's a Bement Miles, alas the tag is gone........It's been mounted in this spot for 90 yrs or so,the building is long gone. It stands 14-15' high, and I recon it's 20 ton or more. The piston rod is 4'' dia. I believe it worked right up to the day the shop closed.
I thought a little project indoors might be nice to round out the winter with, and take it on, but the RR doesn't run from Denver to here :(
In the remote chance anyone wants to really know more about this bad boy, email me, otherwise this is just show and tell.........mb

post-15096-0-19868500-1297057704_thumb.j

post-15096-0-58094100-1297057745_thumb.j

post-15096-0-64631800-1297057840_thumb.j

Pix of this bruiser were taken today in Denver. I think it's a Bement Miles, alas the tag is gone........It's been mounted in this spot for 90 yrs or so,the building is long gone. It stands 14-15' high, and I recon it's 20 ton or more. The piston rod is 4'' dia. I believe it worked right up to the day the shop closed.
I thought a little project indoors might be nice to round out the winter with, and take it on, but the RR doesn't run from Denver to here :(
In the remote chance anyone wants to really know more about this bad boy, email me, otherwise this is just show and tell.........mb

She is a thing of beauty... But a bit far from home for me... ( and I dont think I could come up with 400 CFM of air to run her even if she ran)

Getting those dies out would be no mean feat. There was also a bulldoze/ upseter near by it probly weighs more than the hammer, too covered in snow to shoot a pic. I toured General Ironworks when it was operational in the early 80's, It was fantastic. There was also a 5,500# arch hammer, A nazel 4b, which a friend of mine bought at auction, and a lathe that had a 3' swing x 60' bed. A mill that was 20' below grade and a swing to match. A foundry, pattern shop, , and a secret shop for building nuclear reactor hoists. The only things left are a huge 50t gantry crane and forge equipment , some of which I can't recognise. I recon it would all be scrapped, but the cost of renting a crane that big would cost allot.........A sad story..........
google: general iron works.............I just looked there myself and the 5500#'er is gone, I have a pic of it somewhere. If it turns up I'll post it.

• 11 months later...