I Forge Iron

my first tongs

mather68

This is my first set of tongs, actually its my first anything smithing. It took some work, especially with a very makeshift forge(firebrick and propane burner from a deep fryer). I started out with two lengths of 1/4 x 3/4 x 14" flat stock. Total length at completion was around 19". I had some issues forming the tabs on the end(i had to crease them in the corner of the table and face of the anvil, didn't come out too well). I think i should have squared up the end of the bend by the tabs for more clearance instead of just leaving it flat.

post-16427-0-11439000-1295547934_thumb.j

post-16427-0-34920900-1295547947_thumb.j

thanks. I'll have to admit, it was my second piece, the first being a 2" bolt I ran out and flattened, :). I also watched a video on youtube. Boy was i suprised when i started drawing out the 1/4 x 3/4 stock to square, hand cramps anyone. Can't wait until the forge is actually finished so i can get some solid heat on this stuff(looking at color charts it appears I'm working my metal at around 1600-1700F).

I'm working on a new hardy right now, started out with a piece of 1x1x3, tapered it to around 3/4 for hardy hole, heated and have since beaten it to about 3/4" tall and about 2" square(square being a very generous term in this case), just not sure what I'm going to do with it from there, either a swage or maybe a fuller, since I got hammer happy and flattened it too much for a hot cut or horn/shelf.