I Forge Iron

Funny story...

Ruth, my S.O., has a side business of making and selling earings, and has been selling them to friends and realitives for a while. She uses gold and silver and genstones, and very little glass often from antique jewelry. Reciently she has tried to sell her stuff to the public and has looked to a few local galleries and some gift shops. At one particular gallery there was a sizable display of iron work. Of course this caught my eye and I wander off to have a look, some of the resident artists were reviewing her work to see if it was "acceptable" for their gallery. This is standard practice. As I was wandering around the iron I noticed that a lot of it was welded bent pieces of rebar, yeah it has an interesting texture, and wire and misc car parts and such. The welds were very clean, but I thought much of it could be improved upon with some time at a forge. At one point I heard the potter tell her that her earings were assembled, that she just bought the components and put them together, "we like to see a bit more input from the artist in their artwork, more intimacy with their materials." She asked him if he dug his own clay and made his own glazes, he shot me a dirty look, I stared back at him through a rebar frame with shock absorbers hanging from it. The gallery accepted her work, she declined to show it there. I guess it wasn't up to her standards. God, I love her!