I Forge Iron

Howdy! NC Tool Cavalry Anvil???

Ezra

Hello everyone out there covered in soot, dust, ash, smoke or whatever!
I have been considering getting into metal working of some kind for a few years now and am just about ready... I am interested in the hobby aspect of it and the possibility of making it a side job. I am about to start gathering tools so I thought I would ask for a few opinions or advice...
Who has, or is, using the Cavalry anvil? How about it? What do you find interesting, annoying or more useful than most about it's design?
There are a few reasons why I mention it.
1. affordable
2. versatile (looks like it to me anyway)
3. not too heavy (transport not a big issue)
4. not going to be forging any stock over 1/2 in. on it. (a very experienced smith told me it would do reasonably well for stock up to that size)
Opinions, ideas or perspectives, please.
Thanks!

I had one for a couple of years when I first started.They are an excellent farriers anvil.For blacksmithing it is a little springy,but useable.The hardy hole is in the step,good for farriers but kind of a pain if you want to use a spring fuller or other hardy hole mounted tools.You'll notice the "springy"if you use a sledge more than with a hand hammer.
If 1/2 is all you are gonna do and the price is right go ahead and buy it.Keep it in good condition and sell it to a farrier if you decide to upgrade,they hold their value pretty well.
dimag

I prefer the hardie hole at the fore of the anvil, if I forget it, I won't cut my fingers off with a cutter. I would like it on the face plate, but can live with it. The spring fuller, hmmm. I'll have to find a way around that if nothing else comes along...I won't be working with a striker much, so the sledge issue won't be a problem. Thanks for the point though.
Anybody else?

I would like to go with a London pattern, but...Considering that some of the better "Hays" I've seen were going for 4-5$ a pound, I could buy any number of new anvils that might be as good, or dare I say "better". Don't beat me.
That's not to mention the cost of shipping, or the amount of time spent looking. Sellers on ebay for example frequently won't ship, it's pick-up only.

I did send a request for info on Kohlswa anvils, price and such... and find some of the surface features of a "ferriers" anvil good for artistic purposes.
I'm just geting started, so I can't justify the price, or myth, of some makes until I erect a smithy and must have a larger shop anvil. That will be after my lease in this apt. is up this May.
Just getting small stuff together right now.

Ezra;
The Cavalry is an alright anvil.If it is close and affordable go ahead and buy it.It is not the ideal blacksmith's anvil but is much more useable than a RR rail or some cheap cast doorstop.
If I remember correctly the hardy hole is 3/4".I made up a spacer out of heavy wall tubing[can't remember what size..old age:)]level to the face.I made my fullers long enough so that the hammering took place in the centre of the face.Slightly inconvenient,but not insurmountable.
I do some horseshoe items[hoofpicks etc]and found it to be good for those.There is a large pritchel hole about where a hardy hole would be towards the heel.It is used for turning heels and I found it good for bending things.The horn comes to a fairly fine point which is also handy.Basically you learn to use what you have.
They are very portable and it sounds like ,for you,that is a consideration.
In my opinion[for what it is worth] they are a quality anvil and although specific to farriery not unuseable for smithing.

I strongly recommend that you leave the farrier anvils to to the farriers and use an anvil designed for shop forging. Several years ago, I bought two of the Czech (German Style) anvils now sold by Blacksmith Supply
Blacksmith Supply
and think they are a decent anvil for your money. At 1/2 the price of an equivalent Peddinghaus, they are pretty good and in the same price range as you are looking at for the farrier anvils. The 260 lb (110 kg) anvil is one of my two main shop anvils and has stood up quite well. The 119 lb (50 kg) anvil is my portable for sharing events with the guild and so on.

The reason for buying a german style blacksmith anvil is that the mass is more centered, and the shape of the two horns are better supported for the heavier work of a shop. The London pattern anvil is more a compromise, and left over from the carriage/farrier/general purpose workshop era. The European two-horn design is usually preferred for architectural and ornamental work... thick and heavy, with just the right amount of supported horn.

I can't speak for the Euroanvil directly as I do not own one of those, but their prices are equivalent. If you are willing to pay a bunch more, the Nimba anvils from Washington State are probably as good as it gets.
Nimba Anvils Home Page

I second Ed. I have seen these anvils from Blacksmith Supply, and know of someone who had just recently bought one at the Yesteryear Forge Hammer In from John(Blacksmith Supply). They do seem to be good quality, and I know the guy who bought it is very happy with it!

I also know of someone who just ordered the 450# Nimba Anvil. That is one awesome beast!

Peyton