I Forge Iron

Busy and looking to start

Mycroft

I've had an interest for a while now, and have read some beginner blacksmithing books, but haven't actually fired up a forge yet. I'm in the military, and my schedule doesn't really permit me to take a regular course anywhere, and where I'm living probably would not appreciate me firing up in the driveway. I'm currently located in central texas, and plan on taking the beginner's class at Dallas Heritage Village, but not sure where to go from there.

I'd like to find a private instructor in the area that could work around my schedule and is relatively close (within 2-3 hours of Killeen). Or if anyone knows of a course at an institution they could point me towards, I'd appreciate it. Austin CC has one, but I'll be gone for significant portions of the semester and during the rest I doubt my boss would let me out early two days a week for it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for the site, it's amazing what you've all forged.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! I used to volunteer at the Dallas Heritage Village, it was known as the "old City Park" then. I'm glad to hear they have someone tending the fire there.

For someone in your area to learn from check out the group at Balcones Forge www.balconesforge.org this is the ABANA group in the central Texas area and the enjoy having new folks join them. If you ever get up in the Longview area give me a holler, my shop is always open! Glad you're here, enjoy the site and once again, welcome.

Howdy from East TEXAS!! and welcome to IFI! I used to volunteer at the Dallas Heritage Village, it was known as the "old City Park" then. I'm glad to hear they have someone tending the fire there.

For someone in your area to learn from check out the group at Balcones Forge www.balconesforge.org this is the ABANA group in the central Texas area and the enjoy having new folks join them. If you ever get up in the Longview area give me a holler, my shop is always open! Glad you're here, enjoy the site and once again, welcome.

Thanks for the link to balcones forge, I never found them in my google searches (somehow). I'm gonna hit up their monthly meeting this weekend.