I Forge Iron

Railroad anvil pics

Good day,

Has promissed here are some pics of the litle one.

Hope you enjoy, any sugestions that will improve it very welcome.

I'm also on the process of making a forge from a Volvo Truck brake hub (Big and heavy thing I tell ya)once completed I'll post some picks also.

Miguel Guerreiro

I think I did it. I needed to resize the images, they were to big.
post-9630-0-31686800-1289476840_thumb.jppost-9630-0-51355500-1289476850_thumb.jppost-9630-0-39024900-1289476864_thumb.jppost-9630-0-00088100-1289476874_thumb.jp

Has you can see in the last picture I've allready put the steel plate on top of the railroad stocks but it is not iet welded. I'm in the process of welding the two pieces together.
In the horn I'm welding with some hard rods and then I'll have to regrind the all thing.

I'll tell you that's some hard stuff to grind I'm having a lot of work doing the shapping of the horn. I'm using a big angle grinder and only after 15 minutes or so my arms are really hurting and burning (good exercise!!). I'll also have to use something over my mouth and nose because if not when I sneaze.... well you know what happens!!

I give it a long think about how to do this baby. A friend offered me the railroad (2 pieces of 4 feet each, I still have one intact). In this way I got surface area to work on, weight and volume and if I want I can allways weld it to a piece of H or I beam and make it heavier and bigger. I'll put it on a oak stump (heavy thing) and that's that.

Miguel Guerreiro

So any sugestions on how to make it better are welcome

Very interesting,you really seem committed to this project and are putting a lot of work into it.
It looks impressive and conforms to what most people may think of when you say the word "anvil"
The real question is does it do what you want it to do and can you turn out the kind of work you want to by using it?
If the answer is yes then it is a complete success,if not then I`m sure you will take what you have learned by building it and use your skills to improve or modify it to fit the direction you need to go.

The really shining point to all this is that while others are sitting and waiting for a "real anvil" to come to them you went out and found the means to build your vision.That is priceless,thanks for sharing it with us.

I think I did it. I needed to resize the images, they were to big.
post-9630-0-31686800-1289476840_thumb.jppost-9630-0-51355500-1289476850_thumb.jppost-9630-0-39024900-1289476864_thumb.jppost-9630-0-00088100-1289476874_thumb.jp

I give it a long think about how to do this baby. A friend offered me the railroad (2 pieces of 4 feet each, I still have one intact). In this way I got surface area to work on, weight and volume and if I want I can allways weld it to a piece of H or I beam and make it heavier and bigger. I'll put it on a oak stump (heavy thing) and that's that.

Miguel Guerreiro

So any sugestions on how to make it better are welcome

'
Now that is an interesting concept. I haven't seen seen the double rail thing before. You would get a better/more solid forging surface if you could grind the rail top really flat and braze the plate to the anvil body.

Once years ago, in desperation, I used a radial arm saw to grind the dovetails into a set of power hammer dies. Used a 6' grinding wheel. You have to take light cuts and push the radial through from the front rather than pull it through. Did a good job of grinding a flat surface. This process creates lots of sparks and swarf . I would not recommend doing this inside. The resulting spark/swarf debris welded itself to the shop concrete block wall. Wear breathing protection, full face mask etc.

My friend,
if only....

I think I'll anneal the horn and then retemper it. From what I've read the horn doesn't need to be as hard as the face of the anvil, so maybe a temper it to a blue or peacock.

What do you all think?

Tonigth I'll take some pictures of it side ways.

Miguel Guerreiro

Guerreiro, that is a sweet little anvil.

I made a little track anvil and I think I had a good idea that I'm trying to give away. I welded a bunch of round bars into the web of the track to fill up the empty space, it adds mass to the anvil and keeps it from vibrating on top of those skinny legs. I used round bar because I had access from both sides and I could fill the gaps in between with heavy weld fillets by putting the bars in one at a time, so, even though it wasn't one hundred percent welded, most of the space was filled.

Lewis