I Forge Iron

some recent work

NickWheeler

Hey Guys-

I had a bit of a hiatus from finishing anything in my shop for about 3 years due to a combination of work, going back to school, and ADD. Fortunately I got all that under control and got back to a following through mode, and not just a "start something and throw it in the drawer" mode.

So without any further blabbing, here's some recent stuff I've finished. :)

This is a fighter bowie, forged down from 1-3/4" W2 roundstock, clay hardended and fully polished (with "my" modern methods), 416 stainless guard, copper and black micarta spacers, primo Ironwood handle.

Out of this world leather sheath by MASTER leather craftsman Paul Long.
orig.jpg

Here it is dressed in Paul's amazing leather work :)
orig.jpg

This was my big road-block... I started thinking it was never going to get finished on several occasions. W2 integral bowie/fighter. Forged down from the big roundstock, clay hardened and polished, fluted/cut integral bolster, stabilized Afzelia burl handle.... Paul Long leather. :)
orig.jpg

In Paul's leather :)
orig.jpg

A huge bowie I put together for the American Bladesmith Society all forged blade Exposition in San Antonio, Texas.

11-1/2" blade forged down from 1-3/4" 52100 roundstock, 120ish layer twist damascus fittings, fluted/line cute spacer, Ironwood handle, domed 416 pin. :)

Thanks for looking folks! :)

orig.jpg

AS has been said..really fine work..and we know to expect that from someone with an abs rating. Your work is tops...The first knife you show with damascus is shown as a random...looks a bit like a ladder pattern? and did you make the billet or who did and wot is the makeup? I know I am nosy, but thanks for sharing

Thanks Rich-

You're right... it has a bit of a ladder look to it because of how I forged it. I made some really tight radius drawing dies for my hydraulic press. When you draw the billet down with these dies, it pushes the layers around enough to leave a lasting effect on the final look. But it is just random and not an actual ladder.

Steel is 1084 and 15N20 :)

Thanks for asking :)

Thanks guys :)

It's funny the relativity of things. Let me preface this by saying this is simply an observation and NOT A DEFENSIVE thing on my part: Don said he isn't obsessed with all the hamon business. I guess I am! LOL :D It's just very interesting how we all have our different likes and dislikes. I've spent many years trying to do it, and after all that you have some folks who love it, and some folks who want to know why you have a weird, squiggly line in the blade! ;):D

Like I said, just observing something. I came to grips with the fact that not every piece (or sometimes any) will make every person happy and that's part of what makes the world go round.

Sorry, I don't really know where that all came from... maybe my ADD meds are just making me introspective or some such bullshit :blink::P:D

Thanks again folks :)