I Forge Iron

making closed and open powerhammer dies

Well now that I am kinda sorta used to using my hammer I am trying to come up with ways to be more productive.

I attempted to make a leaf die to make a leaf blank but it wasnt well thought out
I am going to re try it I had attempted to do it without the spring on using some pieces of flat bar as a guide to keep one piece on top of another but it didnt quite work out.

I was thinking that I should make a couple leaf dies and ball dies and a few other things that might be interesting. I will be making them out of mild steel for now I know its not the best choice but its what I have for now, besides after yesterdays attempt lol
I need to make it happen and make it work before I worry about anything else.

I made a tennoning setup but I think I need more of a radius on the edges of the holes because it ate the steel and put some lines in the bar

does anyone have some examples of cool dies they have made? I know grant knows more about this than I ever will,
eventually I will need some other dies I like the bamboo dies and wood dies those I would buy over make but I should be able to make some more basic dies

Great tutorial by Mark Aspery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFqBfLtrHz0

yup thats what got me started but I didnt have a computer at the time I just tryed to remember what he did I missed a step of putting the spring on i was pretty much expecting it to move around too much but was feeling experimental.

I got my swage tool to work I just had to take a bit more off, I am going to make a couple more

I made 20 or so leaves earlier
doing the taper by hand and then the rest on the round drawing die
the way he shows making them to a certain dergree lol
video is the closest thing I have to getting to learn from someone around here

I need to make the same die he has for his gulotine for mine I cut the upper with the torch and found a piece for the lower
just need to clean them up and grind the bevel on

and soon I will be busting balls lol