I Forge Iron

Do you smith with a prosthetic?

Due to a birth defect, spina bifida, I wear leg braces and walk with a cane. In the shop when forging I have one leg braced against the anvil stump to keep me from falling down.
I have discovered that I enjoy having a dirt floor in the shop, as the few times i havebeen in shops with a cement floor my legs hurt at the end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

"Many" years ago, I was introduced to a man about my age. He was sharpening a knife while we all sat around drinking an adult beverage when he took the knife and violently stabbed himself in his thigh. Scared the fecal matter out of me. Yea, you guessed it, prosthetic leg - Vietnam veteran.... Besides ruining a brand new pair of jeans, the guy didn't let his disability keep him from having a positive, if not warped, perspective..... 12 years ago, I succeeded in cutting off 4 fingers in a table saw. Three surgeries and a full year of rehab and I have 65-70% function today. My point is, it's not so much what you have but what you do with what you have. For me, I never let failure keep me from doing most anything I want to.

Thanks for the thread....really an encourgement Keith