I Forge Iron

Art Deco forged ironwork?

yep been googling it for a while, trying to find "masters" of the art deco style

Edgar Brandt is one of the people thats been coming up frequently.

From my gathering of the art deco movement it seems to have come about as a backlash to the organic form of the nouveau (not sure if this is correct) and was based on the use of geometric shapes and angles, and were nouveau was about one of a kind work Deco was more about mass produced art.

interesting read...Antiques Roadshow/Antique Speak: Art Deco

I don't have the book with me at the moment but Chapters can order you a book that is on Art Nouveau/Deco ironwork from mostly Paris and few other European cities. Or maybe your library will have a copy??
I will dig up my copy and send you the details in the next day or so.

Brian
Ottawa

Back again! I should have done this first I guess. I went to the Chapters/Indigo.ca website and did a search on Art Deco Ironwork and Art Nouveau Ironwork. If you do that you will have 5 titles to to choose from.
You can also get the individual books' ISBN number and see if your local library might have copies. They are very specialiazed but hey - you never know.
I purchased a copy of Art Nouveau Decorative Ironwork by Theodore Menten. The ISBN number is 0486239861. A great book with some spectacular ironwork in them.

Good luck

Brian
Ottawa

Chris,
I know that you want to go in informed. I don't know your client, but you might not be surprised to find that his art deco building is really an art nouveau building.

My guess is that unless this building was "stripped" that your best resource for style may well be the building itself and it's fixtures, of course...

...just another thought...

I went and looked at it today, very clean and geometric with just a touch of extra detials in the pillars. It does look to be art deco, its a designated heritage building, a bank built in 1929.

I'm going to show him a few different pictures of 20s-30s Art Deco gates. Hopefully he'll go with something fun.