I Forge Iron

Got my frist anvil today

Was able to get my first anvil today, it's a small 24 lb one, but is in great shape. asked the man at the scrap yard if they ever came across any of them, and he happened to have one. Perfect timing as I just finished building a small charcoal forge.

Was able to get my first anvil today, it's a small 24 lb one, but is in great shape. asked the man at the scrap yard if they ever came across any of them, and he happened to have one. Perfect timing as I just finished building a small charcoal forge.

Wow! You'll be able to carry that one in your pocket LOL. Just kidding. Congrats on the find. Pictures; we must have pictures!!! :D

Okay I cleaned it up yesterday, and put a new coat of paint on it. the hammer is to add a little scale to it's size. post-14509-055862500 1280329840_thumb.jp

That's a nice little Columbian! I've never seen a Columbian in that style before. They are high quality cast steel anvils. You will find yours is probably too small to do any heavier work (please don't find this out by breaking it with a 3 pound hammer...), but it is definitely a nice anvil.

Thats a Beautiful little Anvil, Vary Rare! It will be nice on the bench but way to small for normal forging, Please dont kill it with a large hammer. keep it on a table for a little tap here or there on something or another. go back to the fellow at the junk yard and ask him for a nice heavy block of steel, something like 3 by 6 by 12 or 4 by 5 by 8 any large thick block of steel with one side thats kinda flat will do great, One of my favorite anvils is just mild steel that 6 by 6 by 12.
Remember Little anvils are for little work, have fun with it and good look, hope to see some nice pictures of your work soon!