I Forge Iron

first sword

antigoth24

so finally had enough time to try a sword so i ended up with a single handed very light sword....this was a forging exercise and i wanted it to have a kind of right out of the ground look but i did want to practice some dremel work too so i etched in a celtic braid on one side and runes on the other (its name is demon slayer) ...i made it from a 1930s ford truck coil spring and i think it turned out very well for a first attempt so let me know what you think! all comments and questions are welcome!

post-8703-048365900 1276712990_thumb.jpg

post-8703-065180800 1276713066_thumb.jpg

post-8703-050887800 1276713087_thumb.jpg

post-8703-044923400 1276713103_thumb.jpg

post-8703-087325100 1276713122_thumb.jpg

Looks nice antigoth! I believe in constructive criticism, so I'll point out the things I think are good and the things I think could be improved on. Please don't take them offensively, I can't make a sword like this (yet), just trying to help you improve!

I love how you took the time to pay attention to detail: the runes and braid, the twisted guard and decorated pommel; these things really make a sword special and personal! I also like the shape of the sword, but I guess that's rather personal.

Improvement points in my opinion: on the first pic the edge looks rather wavy, maybe it's just the pic cause I see it much less in other pics. I'm not sure if you plan on grinding/polishing or prefer the rough look? That might smooth it out more. The edge near the guard looks kinda asymtrical, I saw this trick to fix this nicely in an instructional blacksmithing video called "The birth of a sword". You make 2 grooves in the guard in the same shape as the blade (not all the way through maybe 1/2cm deep), this way the blade and guard fit nicely together. I never tried it myself, but it seemed like a smart technique to me.

In conclusion: I think you did a fantastic job for your first sword! Thanks for posting, I would love to do a sword, but gonna have to get some more experience. Keep it up and keep us posted!

NN4N

no offense taken! i think it might be the pic because it took it on my cellphone but there are a couple parts of the edge that are a little wavy but that happened after heat treat....and yeah for this one (just a personal keeper) ill keep it in that rough look and then anything i do after will always look better :P thanks for the tip ill have to try that on my next one.

Nice first effort. Very good looking blade shapewise and all. I also really like the rough look, that's just a personal preference though. Not that I don't appreciate a finely finished sword or knife. there's just something about the rough look, yet still well made and fully serviceable.

Keep us posted on future projects. It will be fun to see how you progress.
Hopefully I'll be posting some stuff up here soon.

-LouieIV

Nice first effort. Very good looking blade shapewise and all. I also really like the rough look, that's just a personal preference though. Not that I don't appreciate a finely finished sword or knife. there's just something about the rough look, yet still well made and fully serviceable.

Keep us posted on future projects. It will be fun to see how you progress.
Hopefully I'll be posting some stuff up here soon.

-LouieIV

thanks louie will do