I Forge Iron

22nd Annual BGCM Blacksmith Days

Just a reminder that it is less than 2 weeks until the 22nd Annual BGCM Blacksmith Days at the Carroll County Farm Museum, 500 S. Center St. Westminster, MD

Friday/Saturday/Sunday, 14/15/16 May 2010.

For details, see Reb's announcement here, 3 posts down. Or go to the Guild's webpage: www.bgcmonline.org

I'm thinking I'll try to make it up there on Saturday. (Of course I've said that about the Stagmers' Fire & Brimstone three years running, and yet somehow that's never come together -- so who the hell knows what'll actually happen.) I've never been to one of these deals before. What goes on? Mostly watching demos? Who's running the iron smelt? And as far as Mr. Larson's hammers, are they available to actually try out? Even for us idiots who've never used one before?

I'm thinking I'll try to make it up there on Saturday. (Of course I've said that about the Stagmers' Fire & Brimstone three years running, and yet somehow that's never come together -- so who the hell knows what'll actually happen.) I've never been to one of these deals before. What goes on? Mostly watching demos? Who's running the iron smelt? And as far as Mr. Larson's hammers, are they available to actually try out? Even for us idiots who've never used one before?

Matt,
We open the gates at about 8am. The demos start at about 9am. Mark Aspery will be demonstrating in one tent, Glenn Horr will be in the othe main tent and there will be a 3rd tent for the knife makers and the impromptu demonstrations by Guild members and others. There will be an area set up for tailgating (aka a blacksmith's flea market). There will be an Iron in the Hat (a type of blacksmith's raffle) with lots of tools, materials and who-knows-what-else. There will also be a silent auction of larger blacksmith tools, but I beleive that that runs through Sunday afternoon. Around 5pm there will be an a live auction of hand forged ironwork.

One of John Larson's Iron Kiss hammers will be in tent #3 and will be available for people to try out. John will be there to walk you through how to use it.

The iron smelt takes place Friday afternoon.