I Forge Iron

What can I make from this?

I have a couple of old crowbars and large prybars( the ones that are 5 or 6 ft long). I'm wondering what some ideas this steel may be good for for some tools? Would the thick square part on the prybar be suitable for a hammer? Does anyone whos used these materials know if a water quench would work? Any other ideas of different tools I could make would be a great help. I get a mental block anytime I think about making something out of it.

Also,I've used some of the crowbar material to make some punches. They seem to hold up pretty well. The working end is the same shape as when I made them , but the hitting end is slowly mushrooming. Anyone know what I should do to stop that? Also They seem to bend a bit in the middle, would quenching them a bit after tempering the end help that?

I know it seems like I'm just rambling on a bit, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

The struck end of your tools should be domed before using. This not only helps to delay the day when it must be reground to remove mushrooming but also helps you to get a clean centered strike when you hit it. They will eventually mushroom though. I might guess that you may be doing more cold work or working at lower heats than optimal though, if you are seeing early onset of mushrooming.

You should heat treat those tools but I wouldn't do any quenching AFTER tempering (you quench THEN temper). I like to keep the striking ends pretty soft so I usually get only the working ends past critical when quenching. DEFINITELY oil quench (at least IME that is nearly always good for these type steels)! They do make good hammers but are seriously tough steels and take some effort to forge into shape. I do use many pry bars but personally I have many more than I have pry work for (because I buy them often specifically as forgeable materials... many in bent or badly beaten condition, which tends to lower the asking price for them).

If large enough they will make good hardies or other hardy tools. Chisels, hot cuts, punches, bending forks, nail headers, gouges, awls, tongs, garden trowels, hoes, hatchets, carving axes, adzes, stone axes, prospector picks, sickles, scythe anvils, drawknives, block knives, brush hooks, machetes, froes, towing or cargo hooks, shackle bolts... these are some things that I have made, or plan to make, from pry bar steels.