I Forge Iron

Simple cam brake for Little Giant

So this is a simple cam brake that I built for a old style LG 50.... Its not an original idea, My #1 Champion had a paw that did basically the same thing and I thought it offered great control over the hammer. I tried to take explanatory pictures and shot a couple short videos...

4492331080_cd07c80203.jpg
4492331226_2e535ecb03.jpg
4491691693_2e116a7133.jpg

Brake video one

brake video two

I didn't really have a plan when I set out... The hammer had a plate mounted to the lower side of the bearing carrier so that's what I used to mount the assembly. the key to the whole thing working is keeping it rigid. I used bearings because I had them but it could just as easily use a busing, but it would need lots of support and a tight fit. The cam chunk is 2 1/2" the main shaft is 7/8.. I machined the shaft to fit in the 3/4 bearings and the arm assembly bolts to the back of the shaft with a 1/2 bolt. I welded a stiffener on the clutch rod to give more positive treadle feel..

I have never used a hammer with a band brake but to me this is much simpler and offers pretty good control. There is no adjustment, Just keep the flywheel clean so it has good friction ( my champion would work even with the flywheel covered in grease but it had a real strong spring to engage the brake.)

• 13 years later...