I Forge Iron

Air Supply (and not the band)

Would much appreciate any advice on supplying air to my forge. Plan to use firepot 14" sq by 8" deep if my source still has it. If not then I know I can get one similar from centaur, either way I will soon have that. For a hearth table I have a 1/2" sheet 40" x 60" that will be supported by angle legs mig welded to form a frame for the hearth top. Completed forge will be on wheels and kept in the barn so it can easily be rolled outside on the concrete for use. Right now all I have for a blower is a Buffalo forge model which I feel may be too small to serve the size pot I want to use for general forging. The fan housing is only about 6" and air outlet is 1 1/2". So the question is will this little blower huff enough or should I be looking for something bigger. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:D

That piece of 1/2" plate weighs some 330 pounds plus the firepot, legs, and some spare parts and you have a 400 pound table! Use big angle iron for the legs and then brace it well. Try the blower you have and see if it works. If not look for a larger blower, maybe a Champion 400 or equivlent, or a squirrel cage electric blower.

I agree with Swamp Fox, that's gonna be one heavy SOB with a 1/2" plate pan. You can get great results using 16ga sheet and never have a problem. I wouldn't think much about it if it was a stationary forge, but if you're gonna be moving it in and out, weight matters. As far as the blower goes, it probably will work just fine. It doesn't take alot of air to get the coals pretty hot (welding, even). Lots of air will let you heat things a bit faster, but you can also read that as "burn alot faster"

I want to thank everyone for their input here. Things are shaping up nicely around here. Now have a firepot with tuyere/ashdump and will soon have a champ. 400 to provide air. Am still going with the on wheels approach for convenience of use around here and ability to travel (roll it up on the truck and go anywhere). Will be using lighter hearthtop as I now have a piece of 3/16 sheet which should work nicely and allow me to use smaller angle for the frame instead of the 3" that I have on hand. Can't wait to get the whole thing smoldering so I can start on my first project- some tongs I was checking out in Machinery's Handbook, twentieth edition pg. 2186. Also am getting another post vise; This one is on a stand with an 18" dia baseplate of 1/2" steel which I plan to add a pair of casters to so they are up, off the floor and will contact the floor when I grab the head of the vise and tilt it towards me so I can just wheel it around like a dolly, like the forge also go anywhere portable. Keep on hammerin'