I Forge Iron

help with air hammer build

Building another PH, a kinyon style this time. My problem is that there's lots of info about the pneumatics but not a lot of schematics. I want to be able to control the stroke length and force for using hand tooling, as well as open-throat and speed control. I've looked at Chris Coleman's mechanical design but would rather not have to deal with all the machining and complex leavers. Thanks guys........

Building another PH, a kinyon style this time. My problem is that there's lots of info about the pneumatics but not a lot of schematics. I want to be able to control the stroke length and force for using hand tooling, as well as open-throat and speed control. I've looked at Chris Coleman's mechanical design but would rather not have to deal with all the machining and complex leavers. Thanks guys........

For a good balance of simplicity and versatility you could use a long stroke cylinder, say 320mm, maybe even 400mm for the small extra cost and the standard Kinyon valving with an adjustable pilot height. The long cylinder length does not mean the hammer will have a long stroke when stroking but it does mean you can maintain stroke length when working with tall work or tooling (by lifting the pilot). Lowering the pilot should give you shorter hopepully faster strokes for planishing.

Air flow on any air hammer is important, big spool valve and short fat internal and supply air lines help, avoid restrictions in the exhaust.

For a more versatile sytem it might be worth looking at two pilot sytem described by ciladog/doc in this thread

http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/16172-increase-the-control-of-your-pneumatic-hammers/