I Forge Iron

Another bed set

Lans Link

Hello folks,
Has been a long time since my last post,but you all know - time.Here is one bed set I made last week.Hope you like it.
Regards

I guess I like it, then again I'm bound to; you've almost totally ripped off (stolen?) my work. No imagination then? Couldn't you at least modify it just a little? Actually the only thing you've changed is you didn't give the slight dome/3D effect to some of the curves. Beyond you?

http://www.verdigris...%20railings.htm

http://www.verdigris...0balustrade.htm

Well they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Me? I just see it more as thieving. I wonder what my solictor would say.

I guess I like it, then again I'm bound to; you've almost totally ripped off (stolen?) my work. No imagination then? Couldn't you at least modify it just a little? Actually the only thing you've changed is you didn't give the slight dome/3D effect to some of the curves. Beyond you?

http://www.verdigris...%20railings.htm

http://www.verdigris...0balustrade.htm

Well they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Me? I just see it more as thieving. I wonder what my solictor would say.

I understand the harsh feelings but I think you should at least first find out the circumstances. People starting out in the trade often see something that touches them, they find inspiring.. and see if they can duplicate it. Its natural and my guess is there was never once a thought that it might offed the originator. If the item is a one off, for his own use... not built to sell... I think you should take it as a complement.

As you get more work under your belt you develop a style of your own, but all of us had a time when we saw something and tried to replicate it... its how you learn and its part of the proses...

Youngdylan, your work is obviously much more developed and involved and is plainly the work of a very talented smith... What I see in the bed frame is a hobbyist who thought it was fantastic and is trying to expand his ability

I really hope I dont offend either of you... just my point of view.

I understand the harsh feelings but I think you should at least first find out the circumstances. People starting out in the trade often see something that touches them, they find inspiring.. and see if they can duplicate it. Its natural and my guess is there was never once a thought that it might offed the originator. If the item is a one off, for his own use... not built to sell... I think you should take it as a complement.

As you get more work under your belt you develop a style of your own, but all of us had a time when we saw something and tried to replicate it... its how you learn and its part of the proses...

Youngdylan, your work is obviously much more developed and involved and is plainly the work of a very talented smith... What I see in the bed frame is a hobbyist who thought it was fantastic and is trying to expand his ability

I really hope I dont offend either of you... just my point of view.

Monster,not offended and yeah I take all that in and wouldn't have minded at all if he had mentioned that fact that it was based on my design or indicated that it was done for a hobby. I guess cos I'm doing for a living, I knda assume everyone else is. Hell we all see work we like and modify. Done it myself, heres an example on my site

http://www.verdigris...eel%20gates.htm

Difference is I've given credit to the original designer

Posting it on a blacksmith forum and claiming as your own is a differnt thing.

This isn't the worst I've come across. I found a website that had lifted my photographs of my website and was claiming the work as their own. The comment about solicitors in the post above was just one of those things to say in the heat of the moment. I was however going to take legal action about the rip off commercial website though. Threatened them with it and they eventually removed my photos. That sort of thing really really p*****s me off.

........ Calmed down nowsmile.gif

PS Thanks for the compliment but I don't see myself as talented, let alone a blacksmith. I'm kinda like you; I just love messing with tools. The designs more or less follow from that. Not really a blacksmith but not really a fabricator. "Geek (me not you) who plays around with tools and metals for a living" doesn't fit on too many forms.

Hello youngdylan,
I see you react like child.Here is the situation:A client come to me with photo of one railing/yesterday I understand is yours/and ask me - can you modify this to a bedset?So what should I say ? No or Yes?I can't afford to loose client these days.Now you start yelling me - you stoll my design....I can tell you I have same problem - I saw my stuf in somebody's website,BUT I let him go ,so one day if some client want that design and that man can't do it just because he don't know how to do it is very simple - he'll never get pay check.I didn't mean to stole anything from anybody because I know everyone make his money with sweat on his forehead.I hope you understand me.
Regards

Hello youngdylan,
I see you react like child.Here is the situation:A client come to me with photo of one railing/yesterday I understand is yours/and ask me - can you modify this to a bedset?So what should I say ? No or Yes?I can't afford to loose client these days.Now you start yelling me - you stoll my design....I can tell you I have same problem - I saw my stuf in somebody's website,BUT I let him go ,so one day if some client want that design and that man can't do it just because he don't know how to do it is very simple - he'll never get pay check.I didn't mean to stole anything from anybody because I know everyone make his money with sweat on his forehead.I hope you understand me.
Regards

No I don't understand you. If I was in your shoes and I posted work based on someone else's design on a forum , especially work more or less copied, I would have the common courtesy to acknowledge where I got the design from. When challenged about it I wouldn't react the way you have,I would have instead issued an apology.

In my previous post I said I wouldn't have mind if you had admitted where you got the work from. Perhaps that would have been a good enough signal how to respond to me. Instead you choose to attack me????

When I saw you had replied I was expecting an apology before I opened your post. Is this your idea of an apology? Since you admit you are doing this for commercial reasons you are clearly stealing from me. The concept of copyright is very clearly defined in most legal sytems.
You say "I didn't mean to stole anything from anybody " but you have publically admitted to stealing my design and still don't have the good grace to publically apologize.

Merely copying other peoples work without modifying it highlights your complete lack of creativity imagination and design skills. If you carry on copying work you are shooting yourself in the foot because you will never be able to design your own work.

OK youngdylan,I owe you an apology.I apology to you here in public so I didn't add in my first post so that was not my design.That was my mistake and I promise will not happen again.Man is learning every day something,so yesterday I learned something new.I know the best is to show your own projects,and in future will try to do so.
Regards

OK youngdylan,I owe you an apology.I apology to you here in public so I didn't add in my first post so that was not my design.That was my mistake and I promise will not happen again.Man is learning every day something,so yesterday I learned something new.I know the best is to show your own projects,and in future will try to do so.
Regards

apology accepted