I Forge Iron

improvement to Kinyon hammer control

Right then, lets make amends for some of my "less" than serious comments.

Here's something you Kinyon boys (and lets not forget the ladies) might find useful.

Years ago I built a Kinyon air hammer. Was quite happy with it for a long time. Till recently the only other power hammer I'd used was a Wallace and Grommit style Blacker (for ages I thought all hammers looked like that). It was only when I had a play on a Sahinler I realised how little control the basic Kinyon had.

Somewhere on the internet I picked up that the reason they lacked control was because they were inherently unbalanced and reducing the pressure to the "top" chamber of the cylinder would improve things.

Tried it, worked wonderfully ............. at low throttle openings. Unfortunately the down side is you loose a lot of ooompppph at full throttle. Didn't like, built a switchable bypass for the regulator, ok but a PITA to reach over and switch midway through something or other.

Scratched parts of my anatomy, 2mW bulb flickered. I linked the bypass valve to the throttle so as the throttle progressively opens the bypass valve also progressively opens. RESULT! You get control at low throttle and phoaarrr at high. Gotta be worth you trying, you'll have to tinker with the ratio of throttle to by bypass "leverage". Pictures may explain things better.

PS one useful tip is keep main airlines as short as possible. Airflow is SO important on these hammers. This is especially so on the exhaust. Seen lots of hammers with many cubits length of microbore airline to the exhaust valve. Not good. Better to keep the ex valve as close as possible to the main valve and use a mechanical linkage to the treadle.

PPS I don't know about other makes but I find the ports on Norgren cylinders a bit restricted for the flowrate of air hammers running at full tilt. It's worth drilling and tapping out to the next size up.
post-11205-12678917322435_thumb.jpg
post-11205-12678917376539_thumb.jpg