I Forge Iron

distressing tools

sirweesarunch

I think they are call scorps. Why the welded handle?

I built them on sunday quickly cause I needed them on monday morning . There were 10 guys on the jobsite , 2 scorping and 5 sanding and evening out the rest staining AND waxing . notice the handles are 3/4 " burners i junked cause i didnt make the slots large enough .. I have 2 high dollar german ones and they have wood handle that occasionally come off . Hence the welded on handles

post-12818-12650032340009_thumb.jpg

how does one use a scorp/scarp?? is it really as simple as pull towards you and control the depth with the handle angle?

I been thinking of making a bowl adz and a scorp for finishing... I know I could make the tools.. but it is easier to get them right when you know how to use them...

I use a lot of hand tools in carpentry and wood working.. and never know when it might be important know how to use an "obscure tool" to accomplish something faster than a modern tool...

quick and dirty ... looks good.. did they work?

I've used small scorps as well as crooked knives to carve bowls and spoons. Both are pulled toward the carver, much to the shock and distress of those who were taught NEVER to cut toward yourself. Aren't rules with the words ALWAYS and NEVER, fun?
Make sure the tool is good and sharp, take a block of wood and whittle away anything that doesn't look like a bowl or a spoon.wink.gif